August 9, 2009

Just Photos: Gardens, Cats

Sharing pictures from this weekend.

Behind the house (south side); the garden here is primarily roses, but a few petunias and others. We walk past these in the mornings and evenings when we're here, along with the dogs and often the cats -- we walk in the forest at dawn and in the evening.





One of my favorite roses is Fragrant Cloud. I bought my first one years ago in Morgan Hill, and it spent about 8 years in a pot. It survived the move here and is doing very well. This is a picture of a rose from my second bush -- I love this rose – great color, lots of blooms, and an intense scent. The other is right outside our bedroom window and sometimes I can smell the roses at night -- making it easy to stop and smell them. :-)




Behind the house again, SW corner garden -- and that cat is BCOS (Black Cloud Over Snow) -- he's taking advantage of the nice breeze to cool his tummy.




WYSIWYG (What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get), in the shade on that same porch.




Homer-Kitty in the driveway yesterday. He is the stray who showed up at our building site about two years ago. He is a superb rodent hunter -- has managed all my gopher problems. I attended a master gardener session yesterday morning and one question was about gophers. The response? The best solution is a cat.




A few shots from the upper garden, or orchard? Most of our fruit/nut trees are up there as well as blueberries, rhubarb, onions, tomatoes, cantaloupe, squash (several kinds), beets, cucumbers, corn, beans, peas, peppers. That sounds like a lot, but it isn't all producing. I was late getting it in and I'm learning a lot about gardening here this year. The onions have been great. The others are just coming in so we'll see.

Today I planted some carrots for the fall, as well as more beets. The garden is a long narrow bench above the garage. The trees are all very young -- new this year -- we have cherry, apricot, apple (3), peach (2), plum (2), nectarine, and walnut. The walnut and one of the apples are not in this garden -- they're behind the house.



That's what it looked like here this sunny late summer weekend. Weather here has been in the low eighties with a mild breeze. Almost feels like a touch of fall in the air, but I know we have many long summer days ahead of us.

Print Page

No comments:

Post a Comment